Cristiano Ronaldo dismisses rape allegations as ‘fake news’

Juventus and Portugal footballer Cristiano Ronaldo has dismissed rape allegations as "fake news"

The football star has been accused of raping a woman in 2009 in Las Vegas and paying her $375 000 to keep it a secret.

Kathryn Moyorga said the footballer raped her in a hotel in 2009 while she screamed “no!”, according to a lawsuit filed last week.

CNN reports that Ronaldo allegedly apologised after the attack, saying he was “usually a gentleman”.

READ MORE: World Cup 2018: Only one Cristiano Ronaldo

The American broadcaster says the 33-year-old footballer is caused of taking advantage of her fragile emotional state to pressure her into signing a settlement and non-disclosure agreement in 2009. She was reportedly given the money in exchange for her silence and her lawsuit seeks to void the settlement and agreement.

BBC reports the story initially came to light when Germany’s Der Spiegel magazine reported the allegations in 2017.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner has since dismissed the accusations as “fake news”.

Ronaldo took to social media with an Instagram post on Friday, disputing the claims made by the 34-year-old woman.

READ MORE: Real Madrid, Juventus settle on staggering £88,5m Ronaldo deal

“No, no, no, no, no. What they said today? Fake, fake news. They want to promote by my name. It’s normal. They want to be famous to say my name, but it is part of the job. I am happy, man – and all good.”

The Portuguese skipper, who joined Juventus from Real Madrid for $117 million earlier this year, is regarded as one of the best players of all time.

Watch the video below: