From the way you answer the telephone to how you behave at a networking function, everything you do needs to consistently portray your personal brand in a positive light.
Here are six small but powerful ways to assist you in taking your personal brand to the next level:
1. Look your best. It’s been scientifically proven that those who dress for success are more likely to achieve it. By dressing well and taking care of yourself, you ensure that people take you seriously. Smarten up and see the reaction it evokes from others. You’ll be surprised at how something so small can make a difference in people’s attitudes.
2. Give a firm handshake. It demonstrates confidence and strength, whereas a soft, sloppy handshake is an instant put-off.
3. Make eye contact when meeting someone for the first time. It not only establishes a connection, but also shows you are engaging and genuinely interested in the other person. Great personal brands don’t focus only on themselves; they make other people feel great too.
4. Be positive. There is so much negativity in general conversation that a positive attitude makes you stand out and ensures you’re memorable. You become someone whose company is enjoyed by others. Focus on what is working; what problems can be solved and what solutions you can offer as opposed to problems, challenges and what is not working.
5. Exude energy and enthusiasm. By expressing your enthusiasm, you draw others closer, create an emotional connection and make a favourable impression. Passion is your personal brand's fuel and, in many cases, the passion you have for the work you do can be as important, if not more important, than your technical competence.
6. Don’t gossip. Rather find something positive to say about someone when others are moaning about him or her. There’s nothing more damaging to your personal brand than gossip. Avoid it at all costs, even if it means having to leave a conversation.