When building your personal brand, you’re focusing on your unique strengths and talents and finding ways to package these to be most attractive to others.
It’s important to remember that your personal brand lives in the minds of others – your colleagues, clients and even competitors. Here are a few tips on how to make your personal brand incredibly desirable in your workplace:
1. Be distinctive. Discover what makes you truly unique (in other words, your unique selling proposition or USP) and leverage your strengths with panache. Whatever you do, see how you can do it better and more creatively so that you leave a distinctive impression. Instead of sending a client who likes red wine a bottle of it, invite her to a boutique wine tasting. Send a new client a handwritten note to thank her for her business.
2. Find your niche. Where can you specialise? Build your reputation as an expert in a particular field – it’s an incredibly effective way to grow your personal brand.
3. Invest in your niche. Become more knowledgeable about your area of focus. Research it, invest in relevant training and take your understanding to new heights.
4. Get others talking positively about you. While it may seem that you have no control over what others say about you, this is simply not true. Make a point of developing and nurturing personal brand ambassadors. Identify key relationships that are mutually beneficial and spend time growing these.
5. Develop confidence in your perspective. It’s easier to agree with someone who has confidence in what he is saying. Make sure you have facts to back up your point of view, but don’t be scared to have an opinion.
About Donna Rachelson
Rachelson is a branding and marketing specialist who uses her passion and 25 years of experience in strategy, marketing and change management to empower people and teams to achieve breakthrough results.
She is the founder of Branding & Marketing YOU. The company offers keynote presentations, workshops, strategic marketing consulting, coaching and support services. She is also author of the best-selling book Branding & Marketing YOU, the first South African based personal branding and marketing book.
For more information on Rachelson or Branding & Marketing YOU, visit: www.brandingandmarketingyou.com.