Recently promoted Ntsumbeni Mavhungu of First National Battery shares his tips for climbing the corporate ladder.
After only a few months of working at First National Battery (part of the Metindustrial group) Electrical Engineer and MBA graduate Ntsumbeni Mavhungu was promoted from Senior Marketing Manager to Marketing Director of the company’s Industrial Division. He shares his top promotion tips.
Mavhungu’s promotion tips
• Demonstrate total understanding of the overall vision and direction that the company has taken.
• Take ownership of the circumstances happening around you including issues that might have happened before your time.
• Be able to drive performance within a team that might have differing ideas.
• Be seen to be trusted with company information and to deliver the message the right way.
• Be available to do more than what is expected of you.
• Be able to communicate challenges and proposed solutions that bring comfort to your management.
Behaviours to avoid
When pursuing a promotion, Elsabé Manning, CEO of The Success Factory, suggests avoiding the following career-limiting behaviours:
• Stepping on others.
• Bad-mouthing the competition.
• Going over the boss’s head to network up.
• Lying about skills or knowledge (competencies), experience and previous jobs.
• Fraudulently obtaining “qualifications” or references.
When it comes to success in the workplace, maintaining your integrity and displaying your intelligence and willingness to learn is essential. Be prepared to wait for the right career opportunity but with honesty and hard work, your value should be recognised.